Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

4 days...

How is it the middle of June? I leave in 4 days! I have been preparing for 6 months, and now it seems too soon.

Carmen helped me go on a wild goose chase today. The only place that had Peruvian currency (long story) was a bank at the airport. Who really jumps in the car and thinks, "Hey, let's switch it up, and I'll do my banking at the airport today!?" I understand an airport is a very reasonable place to go to exchange money. But going to an airport to get money and not to actually travel takes some logistical planning. One cannot just park and hike in. September 11th prevents one from parking out front. The toll booth hound loves parking fees. So, Carmen and I tag-teamed the expedition. We fought traffic to get in the departures lane. I jumped out of the driver's seat and she jumped in, all while trying to signal to the valet that we were not actually valet-ing. She started the airport loop and cell-phone lot queue with her book while I ducked in to the ticketing counters to exchange money. I came back out and waited for her, as she fought the wrong-way driver who entered the exit of the one way cell phone lot, and then followed on the heels of the fire trucks and smoke (never a good sign at the airport). She finally reached departure gate C, and threw the door open while still coasting, so as not to be chased by valets again. The things we do for foreign currency. We got out with all limbs intact. Thank goodness.

On the packing front, my piles are growing. I had a conference call with the other volunteers yesterday. Although it is winter (Winter Solstice will be next week), it will be humid and in the upper 60s. To long sleeve or short sleeve? That is the question. Our call went over packing and travel plans. Most of the volunteers are arriving Saturday night or early Sunday morning. I get in late Sunday night...I hope I still get a decent bunk! (I feel like I'm back in college, hoping to get there first to get the best bunk on freshman move in day!)

My placement arrived on Monday. Chills went down my spine when I opened the email...it is all becoming real! I will be teaching 3-6 year olds. There are 90 children at the school and 4 teachers. We will be assisting teachers with songs, lunch, playing outside, and art activities. Our pre-K teacher, Miss April, was so awesome to share some music with me. She is sending me with our Pre-K students' favorite cd, and the companion cd in Spanish. I'm really looking forward to this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment