 |
| At the Botanical Gardens |
Gina says my Spanish is becoming much better and I'm speaking more in her house. I awoke this morning resolved to bombard Lyccho with questions so he will talk to me. He has a hearty laugh and when I talk with Gina, she will then yell something about what I've said to him in the next room, and he will start laughing. (Honestly, I'm not sure that it is a good sign...) This morning, I mulled some questions around in my head, and practiced how to say them as best as I could in Spanish. At breakfast, as he made his usual move to vacate the room when I walked in, I stopped him and started talking. I asked him about his backyard, his dark and mysterious garage, and the newspaper. He became very animated when I asked about his garage. We walked in and looked at ALL of the bananas, his old orange truck, and all of the dirt. Just like here at home, the garage is the man's domain! Lyccho also pointed out plants in his backyard and a hiding turtle (tortuga). Finally, he offered me a newspaper to take home with me. I liked the few minutes with him and hope he will talk with me a bit more.
 |
| Lyccho's back yard |

We have Spanish class every day. Odie, one of SICR's directors, and my teacher, challenges me. She uses Alison and me to teach the other students in the class. So I guess that means I know something! We went to the local farmers' market this morning to use our Spanish and learn more about the culture. The produce was gorgeous. Many of us were intrigued by a spiky looking red fruit. (It looked like it belonged in the ocean with all of its little arms.) A local resident recognized that we were new, and so she explained the little fruit, called a
mamon chino, and bought some for all of us to try. You must break it open with your fingers and then suck at the white flesh. It's kind of chewy like a gummy worm. But OH! SO sweet!!!! Flash forward to this evening when I excitedly tried telling Gina I tried a "mono china" and I loved it. I was excited because I thought it was the fruit that she keeps serving me in juice form. Confused, she asked me three times what I tried. Finally I showed her the picture on my camera. She was shaking with tears in her eyes, laughing so hard. Miming the animal, she informed me that I told her I tried a Chinese monkey this morning! So, my Spanish is not that great, yet. And the juice she serves me:
mayacuya (passion fruit). I struck out both times.
 |
| Mamon Chino |
 |
| San Jose Valley from tree house |
Our trip for the day was to a medicinal and edible botanical garden overlooking San Jose. We ate our way through the tour. Most of the leaves tasted bitter, but some had chocolate or mint flavors. The group favorite plant was the stimulant which is a legal alternative to the marijuana plant. Go figure! The owner of the gardens built a tree house in a tree on the edge of the property looking over the city and mountains. It has a bathroom and bedroom, and can be rented each night. It was a breathtaking secluded view. On clear days, sometimes the Pacific can be seen.
 |
| Trying yet another leaf! |
Our group had lunch at a large outdoor restaurant called Fiesta de Maize: Corn Party. Every item had some kind of corn in it. We have been eating a lot of corn tortillas in Costa Rica, but I especially liked the flat, sweet, corn cake that was served. It reminded me very much of when I was young and the fried bread my mom used to make with the leftover crumbs and batter after she coated all of the chicken parm for dinner. What a happy thought for the day!
No comments:
Post a Comment