Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Settling in

Yes, I realize I said I would post and write about a picture a day, and that has not happened. I spent the last week with my family, some much needed down time. I showed my pictures and talked about my stories a few times. It felt good to share my experience. There are definitely more things I plan to share here.

I attended a young professionals meet-up for the World Affairs Council of Charlotte a week ago. It was ironic and kind of comforting to learn that every one of us sitting at the table had traveled abroad within the last two months. I appreciated their stories, and their tales of culture shock returning home. It helped me feel like I was not alone. Now, I feel very much an American again!

I've been e-mailing back and forth with some of the volunteers from Peru. My friends Corinne and Emilie are from Paris, but now live in Cleveland. When I hear from them, I get the biggest smile. They are such sweet women, and I hope to see them again soon!

I am rather impressed with the entire Cross-Cultural Solutions program. There was so much support provided while we were in Peru; every possible situation is planned for. The program cost a lot of money, but was totally worth it. I did not have a thing to worry about, and did not have many out-of-pocket expenses. CCS has been in contact with me weekly since my return, by phone, mail, and email, just checking on my experience, my re-entry, questions or concerns. I would definitely consider volunteering with CCS again.

No comments:

Post a Comment