Oh, my faithful foot friends. You have held me up, and kept me sturdy and strong over the years. I remember the day I first tried you on, like it was yesterday. You were gleaming white, with huge marshmallow-like protrusions growing out of your bottoms. I called you moon-bounce shoes. Your protrusions concerned me, and it took extra coaxing to look past and see the good you could offer me. And you did share so many wonderful experiences with me.
Together, we walked the beaten path in Boston, smelling the wharf and seeing history. You helped me relive my childhood, touring Disney World and remembering how much I loved Mickey. You hiked many trails in Asheville, the round-about way of Sun City, Hilton Head beaches, and local Greenways at home. You allowed first grade cherubs to step on you. And you helped me to run all the way around a track for the first time ever.
You were my official shoes of Peru. You traipsed the sidewalks of Peru, dodging crazy drivers as we crossed. You jumped morning puddles. You hiked three flights of stairs multiple times a day without complaint. You climbed down the cliffs of Miraflores to stand on a pebbled beach, and then hiked up 345 steps to get back to solid ground. You walked the cobbled streets of Cusco, scrambled up trees in the countryside, climbed old Inca ruins, and above all, survived a trek up the side of Machu Picchu. Together, we touched the clouds. For all of this, you awarded me with blisters. You rode in an open air dune buggy, and ate sand as we crossed the desert. You were lucky to duck and miss the seasickness that hit our boat ride from Islas de la Ballistras.
You served me well. Thank you for giving me wonderful and unforgettable memories. I wish you well in your retired life in the slow-lane. I know you and your hot pink Soucony emblems will keep Abuelo Thomas warm in Villa.
No comments:
Post a Comment